A Moroccan Chicken and Almond Pie
- 1 chicken (jointed)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions(finely chopped)
- 1 tsp each of ground cumin, coriander & ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 60g flaked almonds(sautéed until golden)
- A few saffron strands(diluted in warm water)
- 1 bunch of flat parsley (chopped)
- 1 bunch fresh coriander (chopped)
- 5 eggs (beaten)
- 1 packet filo pastry
- 2 tsp icing sugar
1. Heat most of the olive oil (leave some for brushing) and butter in a large saucepan and brown the chicken pieces for 5 minutes.
2. Add the onions, spices and the saffron with its water and cook until the onions soften a little. Add just enough water for the chicken to braise, season well with salt and pepper.
3. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 45 -55 minutes over a very gentle heat, until the chicken is tender and completely cooked.
4. Transfer the chicken to a plate and when cool enough, remove the bones and shred the meat.
5. Simmer the sauce to reduce and thicken. Add the coriander and parsley.
6. Slowly stir in the beaten eggs and cook gently until lightly scrambled. Preheat the oven to 180C.
7. Oil the shallow dish. Place two sheets of filo pastry in the bottom to cover it completely with the pastry overhanging the edges. Brush with oil, add two more layers of pastry, brushing each layer with more oil.
8. Place the chicken on top of the pastry, add another layer of pastry, topped with the sauce and another layer of pastry, oil it and top it with the toasted almonds, sprinkle the icing sugar and cinnamon.
9.Fold the overhanging filo edges over, add four more layers of filo, brushing each one with oil. Tuck the edges in.
10. Bake in the oven for 40 -45 minutes until golden, then dust with icing sugar and cinnamon.