Spanish strawberry season has just begun. You can watch my latest 30 second video on how to make an impressive looking strawberry gateau. The full recipe, and step by step guide can also be found below.
Step by step guide how to make a strawberry gateau
4 large eggs
100g plain flour
1tsp natural vanilla extract
300 ml whipped cream
3 tbsp. icing sugar
3 tbsp. strawberry jam
75g flaked almonds, roasted
100 ml Pedro Ximenez sherry
500g strawberries, washed, dried, hulled and sliced
Preheat the oven to 180C / 300F / Gas Mark 2.
1. Line a loose bottom 18cm tin with parchment paper.
2 .Whisk the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, for about 20 mins.
3. Sift the flour and gently fold into the egg mixture in three goes.
4. Put the mixture into the prepared tin.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and drop the tin against a hard surface to disperse all the air bubbles. This prevents the cake from sinking.
7. Allow to cool.
8. Meanwhile, whip the cream and icing sugar to soft peaks.
9. When the cake is completely cold, cut into three equal layers and drizzle each one with sherry.
10. Spread two tablespoons of strawberry jam on the bottom layer of the cake, saving the remainder for later.
11. Cover it with a tablespoon of whipped cream, spreading it evenly.
12. Repeat with the second layer, this time with just the cream.
13. Place the strawberry slices on top and cover with the final layer of the cake.
14. Spread the whole cake with the remaining whipped cream, making sure that there are no uncovered sections.
15. Cover the sides with the roasted almond flakes, patting gently so that they stick to the cake.
16. Place the strawberry slices on the top with the points facing out, and arrange them in overlapping circles into a fan shape.
17. Warm up the remainder of sieved strawberry jam and gently paint over each strawberry slice for a glistening look.